Our School History
St Margaret's was originally known as Plumstead Central School. Central in this context meaning central to the district and not, as it later became to mean in London Education, the schools between Secondary Modern and Grammar Schools. Hence the name was altered when the Central Schools were formed throughout London to avoid confusion.
The school was founded by the National Society in 1856 for the Promoting of Education to the poor in the Principles of the established Church throughout England and Wales. The land was given by the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College Oxford, who were the Lords of the Manor of Plumstead. In the deed of gift in 1856 it was said that the land was to be used for a school, for the education of children and adults, these children to be from the labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes in the Parish of Plumstead and for no other purpose.
By deed poll on 5 April 1856 the Provost and Scholars of Queen's College Oxford, Lords of the Manor of Plumstead, by voluntary grant under authority and for the purpose of the School Sites Act, conveyed to the vicar and churchwardens of Plumstead the land which was the waste of the Manor of Plumstead.
The roll in 1856 was 165 boys, 118 girls and 147 infants, a total of 430. We now have a roll of some 300 children with more than double the space, later on there is proof from the GLC archives that the roll rose to over 800 children. At this time there were four other church schools in Plumstead, The Slade, Burrage Road, St John's and St Nicholas, none of which survived the establishment of the School Board for London.
Additional classrooms and buildings added in the 1970s.
Extensive building works between July 2015 and October 2016 have significantly expanded and improved our school site and facilities.
A brand new two storey building has been built to the rear of the school and was opened in September 2016.